Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Days of Typhoon...

What a scam. At least so far, everyone's so thrilled about the Wipha typhoon hitting Shanghai, but so far this is a major disappointment. I've been living here for almost 2 and a half years, and I've experienced at least three much stronger typhoons than this (trees fallen, windows broken, roads flooded...) and they never cancelled the classes :(

I have my people in Spain regularly checking on us, even SER radio (leading radio station in Spain) calling me every two hours to get the weather report, but honestly dudes, so far nothing worth mentioning, apart from yesterday's showers, that foced many of us to stay wherever we were until the rain remitted. I had an appointment with the new Consul General of Spain, Mr. Antonio Segura, to introduce the Casa de España and our language school, Hola Shanghai, at 13h. I went together with Miguel, David and Jaime, part of the Spanish gang. When I arrived it wasn't raining, and after the two hours' meeting, there was a water curtain that flooded the Bund road in minutes. We managed to reach a restaurant, but their kitchen was also flooded and all they could offer us was some nachos and salad (apart from an excellent home brewed beer!).

And after that, soaked wet, we eventually managed to kidnap a taxi to take us to Jaime's place to dry up before the weekly darts' game, this time at Oscar's. The full Los Otros team showed up (except the new CEIBS guys, it was difficult to cross the city in this weather), but after such a day, my performance was embarrassingly poor, managing only to win my doubles with Miguel, and also closing the 1001 with a much needed double 1. I should have stepped out of the Mickey Mouse game, I was just a burden for the rest of the team, but in general our performance was not up to our regular standard... Therefore we had our first defeat of the season, against a team that was anything but pleasant people to spend one evening with, except for a couple of the Chinese girls. I guess the rain got on them too...

Anyway, we had our laughs, we had fun and this was only our fourth match of the season, and our first defeat. We will wait for them home (at the Signal Tower)...

PS. My mum in law says that the typhoon will seriously hit us tonight...

No comments: